recipe: healthy(ish) banana oat muffins

Sunday 14 April 2013



I've been focusing a lot more on healthy eating and exercising the last week or so and I'm really noticing a difference in my energy levels. One of my big vices is snacking. At home, I'm always rummaging through the cupboards for a snack so I cut down on all my snacking but I still get the odd pang for an afternoon treat every now and then. I went looking on the internet for a heathy banana muffin recipe but none really caught my eye. So I invented my own. Like you do.

Ingredients
100g caster sugar
100g butter
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
100g self raising flour
50g rolled oats
1 ripe banana
1tbsp golden syrup - optional
handful (or two) of seedless raisins - optional
25g roughly chopped dark chocolate - optional

Method
1. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Alternatively add the eggs with the flour and beat well after each addition.
3. Add the vanilla extract.
4. Mash the banana in a bowl with a fork and add to the cake mixture along with the rolled oats.
5. Add your optional ingredients. You can add seeds, more rolled oats, apricots...etc.
6. Divide the mixture into 12 paper cases and bake in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. 
7. Leave to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes and then move to a wire rack to cool completely.

As with about 99% of my recipes, always best enjoyed with a hot beverage. Now, these aren't exactly 100% healthy so I wouldn't recommend eating all of them in one sitting (however much you try to resist!). They fill that little afternoon snack hole in my belly and I feel satisfied that I haven't strayed from my healthy eating.

I hope you like the recipe and let me know if you end up making it!

What are your favourite healthy snacks?


Bon appétit 

Vanessa

x

No comments:

Post a Comment