Sunday Summary #14: A Soft Pretzel Recipe Edition

Sunday 12 August 2012

Some of you keen-eyed readers might have noticed that I didn't do a 'Sunday Summary' last week. It has to do with the fact that I'm not really doing a LOT during my week and I do prefer to do special 'editions' more as they will hopefully add a little happiness to your Sunday! I've been spending my Sunday baking in the kitchen and it resulted in these uh-mazing pretzels!

I bought a pretzel yesterday from the newly opened 'Mr Pretzel' in my local shopping centre, I was definitely tempted by the aroma of sugar and cinnamon (one of my favourite flavour combinations ever!). I then thought to myself, that I could probably make my own for less than what I paid, and I actually had ALL the ingredients already!

I'm not going to lie, the recipe is time-consuming (in my eyes) and you do need to be a little bit confident in your baking. But I believe that anyone can make these!
I wish someone would invent smell-o-vision already!
Recipe (from Laura in the Kitchen)
Makes 12 Soft Pretzels

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of warm water
1 tbsp of sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 packet of yeast
2 tbsp of melted butter
4 1/2 to 5 cups of plain flour

6 cups of water
1/3 cup of baking soda

Egg wash
Your choice of toppings

1. Add water, sugar and salt to a bowl and mix. Sprinkle to yeast on top and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

2. Add the flour and the melted butter and mix with an electric mixer with the dough hook attachment. Once everything is combined, mix for about 5 minutes until you achieve a smooth dough.

3. Brush the insides of a bowl with some oil and put the dough in the bowl. Cover with cling film or a clean dish towel and let it rise in a warm area for about 1 hour.

4. Preheat your oven to 190 degrees celsius, and line two baking trays with baking paper and oil well.

5. Put the water and baking soda in a large pot and let the water come to a boil.

6. Once the dough has risen, cut into 12 equal pieces, roll each piece into a rope and make a U shape, then press the ends of the rope at the bottom of the U shape and pinch the ends. Place your pretzels onto the baking tray.

7. Place the pretzels into the boiling water for 30 seconds, two at a time. Remove from the water and put them back on the baking tray. Cook all of the pretzels this way in the water. Brush the pretzels with the egg wash and lightly sprinkle with your topping.

8. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until deeply golden brown.

9. Serve warm.

I used salt, brown sugar and brown sugar mixed with cinnamon for my toppings. Once out the oven and cooled slightly, you can sprinkle more of your topping on top to make it more tasty! These definitely rival the leading pretzel making shops and you can show off that you made them yourself!

Have you ever tried making your own pretzels before?

Vanessa

x

P.S...I hope you're all having a great Sunday! I will definitely be watching the Olympics closing ceremony tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment